Friday, February 2, 2007

"I Am The Type Of Person My Heavanly Father Wants Me To Be"

After reading Amy's post "The Best, Worst Day Ever" (www.auntieamyandcounting.blogspot.com) It gave me an opportunity to reflect on the past six months of my life since I have in in Utah. I have been trying through Jethro's help to be a better person. I have great opportunities if front of me that the Lord has provided. While reading about Amy's generosity to someone who is going through a hard time made me think of who I am as a person, how I have changed and what I have become.

When I left Prosper a week later one hundred and eighty dollars was deposited into my account. I knew there was some mistake. I was happy to see an extra two hundred dollars in my account, but I had to make sure that it wasn't a mistake before I spent it. So I called Prosper and let them know what happened. They said they did make a mistake and they would reverse the funds. Yeah I was sad that it was a mistake and that they were taking the money back, but I felt good that I had done the right thing. No amount of money can buy the feeling the lord gives you when you do the right thing and he knows you are thinking of him and he is always watching. Now I could have easily kept the money and they would never had known. They could have even kept putting money in every pay day. But I felt good doing the right thing.

So a couple days go by and the money was reversed but I was charged a fifteen dollar over use fee for making more than six transfers a month. I was pretty upset. I juggled with the thought of just forgetting about it or trying to get Prosper to get me the money. I figured it would probably be a hassle. They would have to do a lot of paper work, get the owners to sign a check, on and on and on. I thought I did the right thing I don't need to hassle myself or anyone else. Than I thought well I shouldn't have to suffer this way for making the right choice. So I called and left a message explaining the situation. A few hours later Tim calls me back and says "Its no problem we will take care of it for you." "There is fifteen dollars cash sitting at the front desk for you and you can pick it up anytime." So it was nice that that worked out okay without hassle. Prosper really is a great company all in all.

So the other day I was talking to the guy I am renting the condo from and I was trying to get the deposit back. Now I paid two hundred dollars for the deposit and my roommate Ricky is the only one on the lease. I know not the smartest thing to do, but I thought there wouldn't be a problem. Well he says I only paid 160 and that the lease is for one year so the deposit is non-refundable. He said when we moved in that there would be no problems if we needed to leave early and that he just needed a contract so he would get approved for a loan for his new house. Well I could have told him I am not even on the lease but than he could say "well I guess I didn't get a deposit from you at all than." So expecting the worst I just said well can I have the 160 than. He accepted and I had the cash that night. So getting to the point I was pretty upset. I was thinking of ways that I could get back at him. Things like smashing his car windows or whatever. Well a few days earlier I spoke on the phone with Gideon. We were talking about how I am changing my life and moving back to California was going to be what I needed to clean up my past and start living life instead of worrying about it. So I started thinking about that conversation I had with Gideon and I realized something. How is getting back at Jake (my landlord) going to help me be in a better position? How is it going to help me improve my life? What will my Heavenly Father think of me if I did something to him? What if I got caught? How is that going to help me get out of the trouble I am already in? How is it going to help Jake realize what he is doing is wrong? The answer to all these questions is "IT'S NOT." It is not going to make anything better. It is not going to fix anything. And most of all it is not going to make me feel any better. So I got my money and I figured I will just leave it at that. That conversation with Gideon was perfectly timed by the Lord to help me to remember the type of person everyone and I want to be. He knew the problem that was going to arise and he knew the way that I would react. So I think that the Lord made Gideon not come to Utah to drive me back because my car is not registered. That issue sparked our conversation, and it was needed sorely because if it weren't for Gideon being the good person he is and for the love he and the lord has for me everything was able to be put in place to help me make the right decision.

Yesterday I went to the T-Mobile store to raise the amount of minutes I have and to renew my contract because my contract was over. Things didn't go well and I became very frustrated and angry because things were not going the right way and I knew I was right. Even after I got off the phone with customer service and got everything worked out the way I needed to things were still not going the right way and than I became furious. I got really upset at the guy in the store who was a know it all that has worked there for five years and is not even a manager. I knew he wasn't going to help me do what I needed so I left before I really lost it. I think I controlled my temper well but I was still out of line and I knew it. I had thought again of the conversation I had with Gideon and thinking of the type of person I want to be. So I called the store on my way out of the parking lot and I apologized to the man helping me for my bad behavior. He thanked me and was still being a know it all jerk but I felt better about myself. I instantly became calm headed and I was able to get everything worked out the way I wanted to and overall had a very pleasant processes and by today when I talked to the last person at T-Mobile I was very satisfied and actually had a nice little conversation with the girl on the phone. She sounded hot and young so what do you expect.

So all in all I am happy for the way that I am dealing with things. I am so grateful for the opportunity to move to California and to invest in real estate full time. I know that I am the type of person that my heavenly father wants me to be. I know I will be blessed for my behavior as I have already many times. I know Amy will be blessed for who she is and the impression she is making on others and the many lives she is changing. I know that Gideon will be blessed for who he is and that he will be blessed for the example of good behavior he is leaving and for the love he has for his family. I am happy for all I have and I ask all of you that have read this to take a few minutes to look at your life and look at who you have become. Look at the changes you can make to be who your Heavenly Father wants you to be. Think of the good things you have done and how you have been blessed or how you have blessed others lives. Reward yourself for those things by reaping the benefits the Lord gives you by keeping on doing the good your doing. Create more blessing for yourself by making the necessary changes need to accomplish what we are all here to do. And most importantly don't forget to take the time to thank the Lord for all he has done and to recognize every good think in your life, and every bad thing in your life that you can learn and grow from those experiences.

2 comments:

Jo Anne said...

Great post, Nathan. We have opportunities to learn and grow, and choices to make each and every day. It is good to see you thinking about the consequences (bad or good) resutling from your choices and behavior. "Nice" goes much further than "mean" when dealing with people. It is good to hear about your progress. Keep up the good decisions!

The wonderful thing is, that through the Lord, Jesus Christ, we can repent and move forward with faith and hope.

Love, Mom

Amy said...

Wow Nathan! You have grown and matured so much in the past year. I would say it is "weird". J/K I was just getting you back from a previous comment on my blog.

Anyway, I am very proud of you and the decisions that you have made. Being someone who is in customer service I can personally assure you that you will got a lot further with people if you are kind and understanding rather than rude and belittling. I thought you had Verizon for your cell phone.

It is so much easier to live your life according to the laws of the land and the gospel than to go against it. I am happy that you have finally figured that out for yourself. I am just so proud of you and I know that you can continue to improve your life each day. Remember what your goals are and that you are the type of person Heavenly Father wants you to be.

I love you!