Saturday, July 7, 2007

It's Been A Long Time

Well it has been a really long time since my last post. A lot has happened since then. I have moved back to California and I moved in with George. I lived with him Amy, Amy and Gideon (and of course both of the kids Kate and Sarah). I lived there from February to April. I than got a job working in construction for a painter and moved in with Max and his family. I have since quit working for the painter and am know looking for a job. I am making a little money here and there doing some work for Richard (Max's dad) whenever he needs it. I am so grateful for all the love and help that the Crawford's have shown me. I would not be able to make it through this tough time in my life if it weren't for them.




I have made tons of friends that are good influences in my life leaving those that are not behind. I have meet a few people that I know will be life long friends.


I am currently trying to become a police officer for the California Highway Patrol. My application to test for the police academy has been accepted. What I need to do to get into the police academy is pass a series of tests. The first test witch will be on July 21st is the written exam. I need to know basic knowledge of reading, writing, spelling and reading comprehension. I feel like I will do okay with it. Two of my friends have taken it and barely failed (but English is not there strongest subject) so I think I should do fine. There are books that I can buy that will help me study for the exam. Than a few weeks after that there will be the physical test. I have to do a series of strength tests witch I feel I will complete rather effortlessly. Than there is a background check and a voice stress analyzer test (lie detector) where they make sure you are telling the truth about all your information and that you are not with holding anything about your past that would disqualify you from the process. With the background check if you don't have any felonies the main thing they look for is that you are trying to do good and be responsible. So I am a little worried but I think that I will be okay. Than after I have completed the tests thus far I will go in front of a panel for a final interview and physiological test. Where they will interview me and make a final decision of whether they will let me into the academy or not. By this time it will be the middle or end of September for the interview. They will send me a letter if I am accepted approximately five weeks after the interview. In that letter will be the date of when I report to the academy. There are four times a year that they bring in new students so I figure based on the knowledge I have gathered I would probably be going around January some time.

The academy is six months long. They will teach me everything I need to know to be a police officer and than they will give me a job upon graduating. I will get paid 28,000 dollars for the time in the academy and a starting salary of at least 56,000 dollars a year after I graduate. The academy lasts for six months. During that time I will be working from 0800 hours to 1700 hours after that time I will have personal time to study and exercise. I will not be able to make or accept any phone calls. I will be able to recieve and write letters. On Wednesday I would be free to leave the academy from 1700 to 2359 and friday at 1700 to sunday at 2359. So I will still be able to have some freedom and I will still be able to go to church. The academy is located in West Sacramento so it is not too far from here. After getting into the academy by the time I need to report I will need to make sure that I can run three miles three times a week with an average of nine minutes a mile, be able to do 50 push ups, 75 sit ups, and four pull ups. If I do not meet the physical standards I will be put on a strict diet until I can do all those things. If I do not pass a writen test in the academy my leave privlages will be revoked and I get one chance to retake the test. If I fail on the retake I will be terminated from the academy. They are very serious about the testing. I am very excited and I hope that I can get in to the academy.

Well that is all I have to say for now. I had an awesome fourth of July week and once I get all the pictures I will post another and tell you all all about it. I hope I will be able to keep you all more updated on my life.

3 comments:

Rebekah said...

Good luck Nathan. I hope the best for you. I hear that the police tests are very difficult so make sure you study. Good luck finding a job in the meantime.

George said...

Nice entry, good luck, dude. I think you will do fine. Study up and dedicate yourself and you will do great.

Reuel and Ana said...

Dear Nathan
Great post thanks for all the information. It looks good and we are praying for you. I love you and know that you can do it. Maybe you will get assigned to the state capitol. I love Dad